Latest From Methanol Institute
Waterfront Shipping Company Ltd. (WFS), Marinvest/Skagerack Invest (Marinvest), IINO Kaiun Kaisha, Ltd. (IINO), Mitsui & Co., Ltd. (Mitsui), and the NYK Group (NYK) announce investment to build four new ocean-going vessels powered by clean-burning methanol fuel.
FCBI METHANOL AS A MARINE FUEL REPORT
In December 2015, FCBI Energy published a report titled Methanol as a Marine Fuel, authored by marine energy systems expert, Professor Karin Andersson of Chalmers University in Sweden. The aim of this report is to show how methanol is a strong contender as a future-proof marine fuel.
A Clean and Affordable Alternative Marine Fuel
Currently, methanol is being developed and utilized as a marine fuel. Interest in methanol as a ship fuel is growing in response to international regulatory changes and cost advantages relative to other fuels. Methanol is an alternative which is sulphur free, has low emissions; perhaps three to four times cheaper than marine distillate fuel; and has a higher score on the International Martine Organization (IMO) energy efficiency design index (EEDI)than LNG or diesel. Globally, Methanol is already in widespread production (~70 million tons per annum) for a multitude of chemical and energy applications, and is one of the world’s most widely shipped chemicals.
TONS PER ANNUM
Below are Various Reports and Presentations About Methanol as a Marine Fuel
Methanol Technical Workshop organized by the Methanol Institute and marine engine manufacturer MAN to introduce 2-stroke methanol dual-fuel engines.
Videos of each presentation available below:
Prepared for MI by Distribution Consulting Services, Inc.
The purpose of this Technical Bulletin is to point out best practices and to suggest changes in the way methanol is handled. Methanol has a great future both as a chemical and as a fuel. However, to ensure the successful marketing of this product, it must be carried both efficiently and safely.
To learn more about methanol as a marine fuel, please access the resources below.
- proFLASH Methanol Fire & Exintiguishment – VIDEO
- Methanol as Marine Fuel – Inernational Maritime Organization (IMO)
- Inland & Marine Waterways Exploratory Work on Alternative Fuels
- Costs & Benefits of Using Alternative Fuels
- A Report from the IEA Advanced Motor Fuels Implementing Agreement
- Methanol as a Marine Fuel Webinar Hosted by FCBI & MI
- Methanol – An Emerging Clean-Burning Marine Fuel; Methanex
- Methanol Safe Berthing: Best Practices
- Updates from the Stena Germanica (the world’s first methanol-powered ferry)
- Nitrogen Blanketing for Ships
- Piracy on the High Seas